DUBAI 18 NOV 2014
On a recent flight from London Heathrow on Emirates, I transited Dubai UAE for 24 hours. It was my first time in Dubai. I spent the night at Premier Inn Dubai International Airport..a mere 10 minutes from the Airport via the complimentary Shuttle Bus.
TERMINAL 3 DUBAI AIRPORT
IMMIGRATION DUBAI AIRPORT
I bought a one-day Dubai Metro travel card for 22 Dirham (USD 7)…this card enabled me to travel anywhere on Dubai Metro for 24 hours. The Metro network basically covers all the major tourist and business areas.
DUBAI METRO NETWORK
All the Metro stations are similar in design..you can’t tell which station you are in.
TYPICAL METRO STATION
TYPICAL WALL MURAL IN METRO STATION
My first stop is the famous Gold Souk.
ENTRANCE TO GOLD SOUK
GOLD OUTLETS EVERYWHERE
Next to the Gold Souk is the Spice Souk.
ENTRANCE TO SPICE SOUK
GOOD GIFT FOR A CHEF
The Dubai Museum is a must visit if you are in Dubai.
WOODEN WATER TANK
NIK’S SELFIE AT DUBAI MUSEUM
Dubai is the quintessential home of sand, sun, skyscrapers and shopping. A century ago, it was a tranquil town whose coral-and-gypsum huts housed Bedouin traders and pearl divers. Today the merchants have gone international and science-fiction skyscrapers stand alongside the mosques of Old Dubai.
DUBAI’S SKYSCRAPERS 1
DUBAI’S SKYSCRAPERS 2
DUBAI’S SKYSCRAPERS 3
DUBAI’S SKYSCRAPERS 4
DUBAI’S SKYSCRAPERS 5
Burj Al Arab (Arabic: برج العرب,Tower of the Arabs) is a luxury 7 Star hotel located in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It has been called “The world’s only 7 star Hotel” and is the third tallest hotel in the world; however, 39% of its total height is made up of non-occupiable space. Burj Al Arab stands on an artificial island 280 m (920 ft) from Jumeirah beach and is connected to the mainland by a private curving bridge. The shape of the structure is designed to mimic the sail of a ship(Wikipedia)
NIK’S SILHOUETTE WITH BURJ KHALIFA IN BACKGROUND
Dubai is the home of the world’s tallest building – the Burj Khalifa….2,700 feet high. Construction began on 21 September 2004, with the exterior of the structure completed on 1 October 2009. The building officially opened on 4 January 2010. Burj Khalifa was designed to be the centerpiece of a large-scale, mixed-use development that would include 30,000 homes, nine hotels, 3 hectares of parkland, at least 19 residential towers, the Dubai Mall, and the 12-hectare man-made Burj Khalifa Lake.
Burj Dubai Records (Wikipedia)
– Tallest existing structure: 829.8 m (2,722 ft) (previously KVLY-TV mast – 628.8 m or 2,063 ft)
– Tallest structure ever built: 829.8 m (2,722 ft) (previously Warsaw radio mast – 646.38 m or 2,121 ft
– Tallest freestanding structure: 829.8 m (2,722 ft) (previously CN Tower – 553.3 m or 1,815 ft)
– Tallest skyscraper (to top of spire): 829.8 m (2,722 ft) (previously Taipei 101 – 509.2 m or 1,671 ft)
– Tallest skyscraper to top of antenna: 829.8 m (2,722 ft) (previously the Willis (formerly Sears) Tower – 527 m or 1,729 ft)
– Building with most floors: 163 (previously World Trade Center – 110)
– Building with world’s highest occupied floor: 584.5 m (1,918 ft)
– World’s highest elevator installation (situated inside a rod at the very top of the building)
– World’s longest travel distance elevators: 504m (1,654 ft)
– Highest vertical concrete pumping (for a building): 606 m (1,988 ft)
– World’s tallest structure that includes residential space
– World’s second highest outdoor observation deck: 124th floor at 452 m (1,483 ft) When it first opened, the observation deck was the highest outdoor observation deck in the World, but it has since been surpassed by Cloud Top 488 on top of Canton Tower.
– World’s highest installation of an aluminium and glass façade: 512 m (1,680 ft)
– World’s highest nightclub: 144th floor
– World’s highest restaurant (At.mosphere): 122nd floor at 442 m (1,450 ft) (previously 360, at a height of 350 m (1,148 ft) in CN Tower)
– World’s highest New Year display of fireworks.
– World’s second highest swimming pool: 76th floor (world’s highest swimming pool is located on 118th floor of Ritz-Carlton Hotel at International Commerce Centre, Hong Kong).
DUBAI MALL’S CENTRE COURT
The world’s tallest building is surrounded by hotels, must-visit shopping destinations and a world of entertainment options…Dubai Mall.
SUNSET OVER DUBAI’S RIVER MOUTH